The school year is rapidly coming to a close, and it’s crazy to think how fast it went! While I’m sentimental about leaving many of my best friends for three months, I couldn’t be more excited to get home and cook for myself again. Living in a sorority house definitely has its perks, but food freedom is not one of them.
This savory waffle recipe, which I posted on my Instagram a few weeks ago, will be the first thing I make for brunch next Saturday! Whether you’re looking for a Mother’s Day recipe for next Sunday or are craving breakfast for dinner, look no further than this Greek-inspired recipe.
What you’ll need:
¼ cup brown rice flour
¼ flax meal
¼ cup skim milk (add up to ½ cup if batter is too thick)
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 minced shallot
2 tsp minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste
*NOTE: You won’t need all of this for the waffle! Save the leftovers for a few salads throughout the week*
8 cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
8-10 spinach leaves, ripped into small pieces
¼ cup goat cheese, crumbled
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a small-medium bowl.
- Add in egg and mix with a fork.
- Carefully mix in milk.
- Pour into waffle iron and cook until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Top waffle with desired toppings, pour dressing on top or serve it in small side cup, and enjoy!
- Using brown rice flour as a base is optional – you can substitute whole wheat flour if you don’t need a gluten-free recipe or don’t have a GF option on hand.
- Feel free to adjust the amount of milk you use until you get the desired consistency, and use an unsweetened dairy-free substitute if you need.
- Play around with toppings! I chose these because they were just what we had on hand at the time, and the combination of spinach, tomatoes, and cheese reminded me of a Greek salad. You could add cucumber, olives, or a squeeze of lemon!
If you try this recipe, tag me on Instagram @goodvibesbetterfood and let me know what you think! Because the only thing better than #WaffleWednesday is #WaffleWeekend amirite?