We’re finally getting into the heat of summer in the Midwest, which means it’s almost time for the 4th! This time of year brings me back to memories of my cabin in the Northwoods of Wisconsin – swimming in the lake, pontooning in the 4th of July parade, dad and my uncles grilling out, and of course doing sparklers with my siblings and cousins. Though our cabin trips have become less frequent as we’ve grown up, our 4th of July celebrations certainly haven’t gotten any less rowdy.
I recently teamed up with SkinnyPop popcorn to bring you this sweet popcorn recipe to share with anyone you’ll be with for the 4th! Have you ever tried Skinny Pop? It’s a wonderful treat that comes prepackaged in large or individual-sized bags, or you can buy their popcorn cakes (similar to rice cakes) or microwaveable variety. These are just a few of the things I love about their products:
- Made with MINIMAL ingredients. We’re talking simply popcorn, sunflower oil, and salt for their original flavor!
- High fiber: 3g of insoluble fiber per serving.
- Low sodium: Only 75mg per serving. Compare that to your typical microwave popcorn with a whopping 435mg per serving…
- Sunflower oil: This oil is low in saturated fat and high in the more heart-healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.
- Obviously, it tastes DELISH. Lightly salty with just the right amount of flavor – not overly buttered and salted like the movie theater stuff that leaves you chugging gallons of water.
Even though I won’t be watching fireworks with the fam at the cabin this year, I can’t wait to make a batch of this popcorn for my friends in Madison. This sweet, patriotic snack will be a hit at your holiday party, too – whether you celebrate the weekend before the 4th or next Tuesday! I included a conversion for the individual-sized serving too, in case you’re looking for a sweet afternoon treat or something to accompany your next solo Netflix binge.
Note: I used the Original for the recipe, but it would totally be worth trying with their Naturally Sweet flavor also! If you try it, I’d love to hear your thoughts. Also, I recommend finding dried fruit with no added sugars, like these freeze dried strawberries and dried blueberries from Target. This recipe is sweet enough already 🙂
What you’ll need
- 1 large bag Skinny Pop
- ¾ cup honey
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- ¾ cup freeze dried strawberries
- ¾ cup dried blueberries
SkinnyPack (100-Calorie) Size (Find these in bulk at Costco or another wholesaler!)
- One 100-calorie bag Skinny Pop
- 2 tbsp. honey
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. freeze dried strawberries
- 2 tbsp. dried blueberries
- Drizzle the honey over the popcorn in a large bowl while stirring with a large spoon.
- Sprinkle cinnamon and stir until evenly distributed.
- Add in the dried fruit and mix.
- Garnish with additional fruit and cinnamon if desired, and enjoy!
Also note: Since this combo does get sticky with the honey, I recommend distributing it into smaller bowls and enjoying with a spoon! I know what you’re thinking: popcorn with a spoon? Weird? A little bit. Worth it? Absolutely.
Enjoy your 4th of July celebrations! I hope they’re filled with quality family & friend time, perfect boating weather, breathtaking fireworks, some great grilling (there’s TONS of awesome recipes in the new Healthy Glow Guide from HealthyGlowCo. Plus, they’re giving away a FREE smoothie e-Book with each purchase made before the 4th of July! Message me through my Contact page or Instagram for a discount!)
Do you like holiday-themed recipes? What other types of recipes would you like to see? Let me know!