Anyone who’s known me since I was little knows I have a bit of a problem. A cheesecake problem. I wanted to go to the Cheesecake Factory for every birthday, would eat anything cheesecake flavored, and could never turn down the dessert menu. When I was feeling especially dramatic, I’d even scream upon hearing someone say the word “cheesecake” in conversation (this actually happened on more than one occasion, just ask my childhood friends).
Well, the bad news is I somehow missed National Cheesecake Day which was yesterday, July 30th. How that happened is beyond me since I am still as much of a diehard cheesecake fan as I was as a kid. But, the GOOD NEWS is I had this recipe up my sleeves from a few weeks ago that I was waiting to tweak and perfect before sharing it, and it’s finally ready!
My grandparents are the ones who really got me into cheesecake in the first place, and one of their other favorite desserts is a slice of fresh Florida key lime pie. Since they’re similar in texture and both have a graham cracker crust (my FAVORITE), it seemed perfect to mash these two treats into one easy-to-make dessert dip! A few things I love about it:
- It’s super high in protein thanks to Greek yogurt and collagen peptides! Read my blog post to learn more about those here.
- The tartness of the lime, tanginess of the cream cheese, and sweetness of the coconut and vanilla balance each other out perfectly and make for a unique flavor.
- This dip is fairly rich, so it really can satisfy your sweet tooth with just a few bites!
- Since there’s no baking involved, you can whip this up in no time for a quick treat before bed or to bring last-minute to a gathering!
What you’ll need
8 oz light cream cheese (I love Trader Joe’s brand)
1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
2 scoops Further Food collagen peptides protein powder (tasteless & textureless)
Juice of 1 lime
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
Zest from 1 lime
2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
Graham crackers (for dipping)
- Soften the cream cheese in a medium-size bowl by microwaving it in 15-second intervals until it is just soft enough to whip with a fork. (It took me 30 seconds in total, but this will depend on the wattage of your microwave)
- Add Greek yogurt and collagen peptides and mix while cream cheese is still a bit warm from the microwave.
- Zest the lime rind into a small dish using a zester or cheese grater and set aside.
- Cut the lime in half and squeeze juice directly into the mixture along with honey and vanilla extract.
- Fold in the coconut shreds and lime zest from earlier.
- Let sit in the fridge for 30 minutes to thicken, or longer if the dip is too liquid.
- Enjoy with graham crackers for the most authentic cheesecake and key lime pie flavor!
I can’t wait to share this recipe with G&G and get their opinion! They’ll be the true judges of whether or not this healthier alternative to cheesecake and key lime pie can live up to the real things.
Since I nearly always have a box of graham crackers on hand for dipping or spreading with nut butter, fruit, yogurt, etc., I’m always looking for new ways to mix up this easy snack! If you have any ideas or suggestions for me, toss a comment down below or find me on Insta @goodvibesbetterfood!